Monday, June 30, 2014

We are what we can remember

In 1975, our trip to Taiwan was very extensive. Not only did we visit our relatives in Taipei, Tainan, and Kaohsiung, we also visited quite a number of friends, and went to many scenic places in Taiwan, including parks, dams and some research institutes, such as those for sugar and electric power. While I have pictures to remind me of the details of our trip, many small fine points have been lost. The interactions between people and people, as well as between people and events are not clearly remembered. Clearly we can remember what we choose to - it becomes part of us. When we do not pay attention to something, the ability to recall it is lost. However, you can recreate the memory to suit your needs or it may be generated as  part of your daily activity. Clearly we are what we remember. Truth or fiction, what we remember becomes part of us and part of our valued past. What we do not remember is lost, it can no longer be part of us. There is a fine line between what you can remember and what you forget, and only you yourself can decide  whether something is part of your history and really happened in your life. As for me, I have tried to remember what occurred in 1975, but the details are very fuzzy. They have not easily resurfaced. The mood and the atmosphere are very difficult to recreate. I have tried very hard not to infer my mood or my “thinking”  at that moment, but only report what actually happened, skipping the temptation to make a guess about my mood and my mentality of the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment