Sunday, June 26, 2011

The Hsu Family (徐家)

An unexpected benefit, when I was working at Great Lakes Research (GLR), was getting to know a Chinese family. Dr. Hsu was a very respected section head working at GLR. His family had moved down from Chicago when GLR was relocated.  Not too long after I started my summer job there, I was invited to his home and had dinner with them. This relationship continued for decades even after I moved back to Johnson City to teach at ETSU. They continued to treat me like a family member, and certainly we had some memorable ping-pong games in their basement!
They took me to Roan Mountain to see the Rhododendrons blooming and we had picnics there. That was the first time that I started to appreciate the beauty of the mountains in Tennessee. The following pictures were taken in 1963.


No comments:

Post a Comment