Sunday, August 4, 2013

Voice Lessons

Another thing I did shortly after we moved to Tennessee was to start something I had wanted to do for a long time, but had not had the opportunity for, i.e. to take voice lessons. ETSU had a pretty good Music Department. There were two professors in voice, Robert Lapella and Betty Fleming, at that time. They usually worked together. I decided to start my voice lessons and both of them felt that what I needed most was to improve my diction. Betty had a better schedule for me, so I started my lessons with her, once a week for half an hour. She tried to give me some familiar songs to sing and then to correct my pronunciation in detail the following week. Later, I took some lessons with Bob, too. Singing had been part of my life since my Junior High school days. While I had sung in choirs and directed choirs, I realized that I needed some formal training. My desire to get better was still very strong!

No comments:

Post a Comment