Thursday, February 14, 2013

Where is “God”?

Sometime after I was sixteen, I started to encounter the word “God” as used by Christians.  My mother belonged to a “Chinese” church, but the depth of her belief ranged between “hot and cold”, depending on her own mood. Her church was labeled Chinese, I suppose, because everyone was speaking Chinese and there was no foreigner involved in its operation. Most other Christian congregations had some foreigners involved, either as missionaries or ministers. I reported my association with Miss Jones early in this blog. It was then that I started my search for “God”.  My early definition of “God” was as “love”. However, since at the time I had no realistic ideas about  Love, that was clearly not satisfactory. Then my definition changed to  “Nature”, about which I knew very little. So I needed to do a lot more searching. Quickly I learned that the scientific method I had started to learn at school was not applicable here. No one seemed to mind that the approaches to faith and science were different. As a matter of fact, I learned quickly that you were not supposed to use one to interpret or explain the other. The discovery of Church music made me conclude that there had to be a “God” , since so many composers had created so many beautiful melodies, which I appreciated so much! They had such creativity only after they found “God” or God had found them. That was the only possible solution, I concluded.
After we moved to Johnson City in 1971, we joined the Lutheran Church quickly. Both of our children were confirmed there, I was involved with the choir. My desire to search for “God” was still strong. There were a lot of life’s experience ahead of me and there were a lot of areas that needed to be explored. I was pretty convinced that I would find what I was looking for eventually.
“Thou shall seek to find!”

No comments:

Post a Comment