Saturday, October 20, 2012

Steven came to join us in a hurry!

All was going smoothly for Janice’s pregnancy. The weather in May and June in Lexington, KY, was mild and comfortable. Since the UK medical school hospital was the best there, and I was a faculty member at UK, it was natural for us to use the facility there. When we went to the hospital that important day, the main doctor came to check on Janice and told her that it was going to be a few hours before she would deliver. Since he was scheduled to receive an award that night, he told Janice that he would go there and came back to take care of her afterwards. I decided to go pick up Pan-pan from our neighbor’s home and take her to McDonald’s to get something to eat, and then come back to welcome the baby’s arrival. Before I got to the main hall door, Janice called me to stop, as she felt that the baby was coming more quickly than anyone had expected. While I was alarming the delivery room nurses, and an orderly was wheeling Janice to the delivery room, the baby was in such a big hurry that before we reached the delivery room he was already out. The nurse cleaned him quickly and let me take this picture in the hallway. I believe that the nurse still had some form for me to sign in her hand! We had decided on possible names for the baby ahead of time – depending upon whether it was a boy or a girl. We now knew that the “baby” was in fact Steven Henry Huang – a boy!

steven-2

Later we took a few more pictures in the delivery room:

steven-3steven-4

Of course, all my plans to take a complete sequence of the arrival were wiped out!

No comments:

Post a Comment