Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Marian Anderson was in Taiwan once!

 Last night, I was watching a local PBS TV program. It was a special on Marian Anderson, used to raise funds for the station. There were some sections which impressed me very much. The most special event pictured took place in 1939, when she gave a concert at the Lincoln Center in front of 75,000 people. The first two pictures below were taken at that concert.

The third picture, which I found on the web, is also interesting. It has been said that the picture was possibly taken in 1965, on a visit to Taiwan. The other two people shown are the wives of the President and Vice-President of Taiwan during that time.



This program last night reminded me that I attended Marian Anderson's concert at Taiwan Normal University Music Hall to hear her sing in 1958, which was my freshmen year.  Since there was standing room only, I stood in the first row of the very crowded Hall to hear "Ave Maria". At the time there was only one University which had a Music Department. It was an open concert. I am pretty sure that what I remember is correct!





No comments:

Post a Comment