Monday, October 9, 2017

We visited Tao-Shi-Lin

There are not many things that happened in my life before my teenage years that I can remember clearly. This story about Tao-Shi-Lin is, however, an exception. Tao-Shi-Lin is the sister of my best friend Tao-Tze. I met her when I was 12, and she was close to 10 years old. We only met each other when I occasionally went to visit Tao-Tze at their nearby home. Sometime, when she was close to sixteen years old, I heard that Tao-Shi-Lin had run away with an American soldier stationed in Taiwan. This was very unusual at that time and in that place. For a young girl from an educated family to meet and fall in love with a foreigner, and then to run away with him, was unheard of!
Of course, Tao-Tze's family did not want to talk about her very much and we only knew that she left for the USA with this GI. In 1983, I found out where she lived. It was in New England, where Janice's family lived and, believe it or not, our family went to visit her there. We had a picnic dinner with her family at their home, which had a swimming pool. We took three pictures together, and the visit ended before we realized it!!! Overall, this story had, to me, a strange beginning, and, as it developed, it remained very unusual and strange. However, she appeared to be happy with her life.


No comments:

Post a Comment