Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Just a Small Hole opened up in 1980

A "hole in the curtain" was opened up between Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China, by the People's Republic sometime before 1980. I went through that "hole", from Hong Kong, in July. Of course, Janice did not go with me, as I was not sure whether I was making a big mistake by accepting the invitation from China to make the trip. That was the first time I visited Hong Kong. It was not a very clear day, but it was a big, impressive city as I took a picture below!
I stayed there only one night without taking any side trips. The next day I took a train to Lo-Wu, a border town with China, which had the only "hole" opened to the People's Republic. And for more than a decade, it was the only "hole" for all visitors of China to go through. The town changed quickly from a very small place to a very large city in just a few years. The pictures below can give you some idea of the change:
 
Seen from the British side in 1980. (The red flag represents the PRC.) 

the same location after 1985 

Not only did I pass through this "hole" several times, but in later years my family also passed through it more than once and we certainly saw the changes in this whole area.


No comments:

Post a Comment