Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Citizen of USA

I do not remember when exactly I applied for USA citizenship. I applied for Permanent Residence (a Green Card) while we were still at the University of Illinois. After receiving the Green Card, there was a fixed time period to wait before you could become a USA citizen. I applied for citizenship when I started to teach at the University of Kentucky. It became official after I moved to Tennessee. On the day of October 28th in 1971, I went to the Federal Court in Lexington to be sworn-in as a citizen. That weekend, Dr. Nicholson of the Chemistry Department at ETSU gave a reception party to celebrate the occasion. The Sells family gave us a US flag, which is still the one used when we have the occasion, such as on July the 4th National Day and other special days. A copy of my certificate is shown below:

Citizenship

I am only one of the many Taiwanese who benefited from the US immigration policy. When you take a look at the number of  graduates from National Taiwan University, it is notable that, for about 15 years, the majority of science graduates considered going abroad to the USA as the best opportunity. In my Chemistry class, we graduated a total of 32 students and  about 28 of them came to the USA. And this was a very typical example. 

No comments:

Post a Comment