Thursday, December 9, 2010

Forever Friends


At the end of our high school days, everyone seemed alarmed by the pending separation of our classmates. We were in a hurry to exchange pictures during the last few weeks of May, 1957. In the physical science section of my class we had a total of 34 students. In my possession now, I have a total of 34 pictures. Below are six pictures from the collection. On the backs of the pictures, most have some short messages and signatures, and some have a date. Most messages are related to "forever friends", to remembering our friendship. The six I chose to post here are the ones I still remember. Many of the faces in my collection I can no longer remember completely, even with the help of their signatures. So much for our friendship! Using their last names below, let me say a few words about these six who were close to me in those three years:
Chu: A strong fellow who liked to play basketball. We played together quite a bit.



Gin: He was the only person I knew with polio damage of his leg. His hands were very strong. We lost all connections after graduation.



Guo: His home was right across from Normal University, near my home. His parents operated a restaurant there. We were invited to eat at his home very often. He was married right after graduation to a girl who was a graduate of Banqiao Junoir High School.



Liu: A straight shooter, as a person and as a basketball player. He was scared of singing in the music class - I always wondered "why".



Ho: A scholar in behavior and in looks. With flat feet, he never participated in sports or military marches.



Shu: Smart but moody. He was very close to me. I was told that he died in his fifties in the US.


No comments:

Post a Comment