Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Donald Sands

When I first went to the University of Kentucky for the job interview, Don Sands was a professor there. He was the one in charge of receiving me for the interview. He gave a party for me at his home. The department did this in order to attract whomever they liked to recruit for the position and I was impressed. I later accepted the job because I felt the harmonious flavor of the department. Clearly this was an impression but the actual situation was very difficult to predict. The department could perhaps turn out to be very different. I liked Don and was very much appreciative for what he did for me when I was there. In the fall of 1973, I invited him with his wife, Betty, to visit ETSU and give a talk at our departmental seminar. We took them to Watauga Lake during the weekend, with our family. We have kept them on our Christmas list ever since!don-sand-2don-sands

No comments:

Post a Comment